Saturday, May 18, 2013

Homemade Essential Oils - Lilacs - Part One


On this beautiful day in spring I felt energized with the crafty spirit, and decided to do something about it.  How could anyone be expected to do housework on a day like today?  So off to the yard I went... and found inspiration for a blog.





In my research I  recently found a couple of recipes for making your own homemade essential oils... and they sounded easy.  One of my favorite flowers is LILAC, love the scent, love the color!  So I decided to put aside everything and go pick some flowers. 



Here is my version of Homemade Lilac Essential Oil.  It's not a pure essential oil, and not to be taken internally, but if you're looking for a perfumed oil to use in some bath and body products here you go.


Step 1)  Pick the flowers.  You need two cups of well packed flowers for this.


Seeing as though this was all going to end up in a mason jar, and the mason jar holds two cups, I just crammed all the flowers into the jar and kept packing it down.


Step 2) Slightly bruise the flowers with a Mortar and Pestle.


Now, although I totally have been encouraged to buy a mortar and pestal by my craft enabling husband, I never have.  Up until recently I could never justify it.  So today I used a paper plate, and plastic spoons, which soon turned into paper plate and a pyrex measuring cup.    



Step 3)  Pour Sweet Almond Oil into a mason jar and add flowers.



My lazy self originally decided to just cram all the flowers into the mason jar, then pour a cup of oil in on top, but I was honestly nervous about how that would work out.  So I did it the proper way.  Then I realized I used the recipe for herbs (not flowers) and kicked myself... so for my next batch, which will probably be violets, I'll only use half a cup.


Step 4) Keep it in a warm place (out of sunlight) and shake it once per day.


This jar is FULL.  Shaking is supposed to further bruise the plants, but there's no wiggle room that I can see.  Maybe over time the flowers break down and there will be wiggle room??






So this is where I am at today, waiting and hoping it will turn out okay.  This is kind of a one shot deal this season.  Although, maybe I'll skip housework again tomorrow in lieu of more lilac picking.  :-)


Here are the next steps I'll be following in the days and weeks ahead.

Step 5) Place it in a dark place for a couple of weeks.


Step 6) Shake the jar a final time, then strain it through gauze or cheese cloth into another container.  Squeeze it well to get all the goodness you can out.


Step 7)  Put in dark containers to extend shelf life.


I'll post an update in a couple of weeks with the results!

Thanks for reading my first blog!







7 comments:

  1. First blog, and I left it as a cliffhanger!! SORRY!! To be honest it worked, and it didn't. I tried this with both Lilacs and violets, and both didn't come out with that pleasing of a scent. I am actually psyching myself up to try it again. This year I am going to try a few different variations. I think part of the problem was I had too much green matter (and too much oil in the lilacs,) this year I'm going to try and just put petals in the jars. Maybe wear gloves, and I may also try a couple of different base oils. I'll try to document everything, and not leave people hanging this time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if it would work but I seen a recipe to make oil like this out of dandelions and the oil and flowers were heated on the stove for a few hours on low heat

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is NOT essential oil, it's just scented oil. ' Essential oil " is the oil extracted from the flower after the proses of pressure cooking. The oil is separated from the water after it separates and floats to the top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck. Lilac has not been made into an essential oil successfully by any aromatherapy company to date. Most use a combination of oils that come close to the true fragrance. Escents company came very close, at times they discontinue selling it. I am looking for a recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. pure essential oils - Pure Essential oils are one the best oils ways to glow skin in nowadays. These oils can be used in a number of diseases, pains and so on. You can buy top essential oils to buy online are available on milagrobeauty.in at reasonable prices in Delhi NCR and other parts of India. If you are searching for same then you can buy. We are providing free home delivery and 10% discount on first purchase of our products. For more details visit our website: Milagro.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank for Sharing Valuable Information

    SVA Organics is a leading supplier of Pure Essential Oils, carrier oils, herbal-extracts, usda certified essential oils, fragrance, floral absolutes and waxes. Shop our online collection now!

    ReplyDelete